One of my son’s is really into racing games on his PC, so when we upgraded all the PC’s at the end of last year he chose to get a wheel and pedal set and a cheaper graphics card with his budget.
After some research and also the fact we found a decent deal on Amazon Warehouse we picked up a Logitech G920 set for him.
He is really enjoying using them, however, only being 11 his legs aren’t as strong as an adults, and these pedals have a “non-linear” feature for the brake pedal, which is basically a bit of rubber that has been added to the spring to try and simulate the feel of a real pedal.
When I was looking into solutions I found there is a whole world of modifications you can do to these things to make them more realistic including adding a load cell to the brake to make it feel even more like a real pedal.
I wasn’t about to spend £60 on something that might make it feel more realistic to me, but still be too hard for Max to push with his legs. Therefore, I came up with the simplest solution which is to just remove the bit of rubber from the pedal set.
You won’t need much in the way of tools to do this, basically just a decent set of allen keys. I thought originally I would need some screwdrivers so, in an act of complete overkill, broke out the impact driver:
There are a couple of ways to get the job done. If you are planning on making changes to the rest of the pedals, like swapping out the springs, adding a load cell to the brake then you are best taking off the bottom of the pedal set:
There are over 20 screws that need taken out to do this, and don’t forget the screws that are under the carpet bar. I chose not to do this though as I only needed access to one of the pedals. To do this I removed the plate of the pedal which is just a couple of allen bolts:
This might not have been necessary, but did give some extra room in and around the pedal for the next step.
There are two allen bolts on either side of the main pedal column that connect the pedal to the spring section. This is where a short allen key comes in handy as there isn’t enough room for a screwdriver:
With these removed you can then pull the front part of the pedal away from the spring section, it can be a bit tight so might need a bit of force:
Once this has been removed (be careful not to lose the brass insert from the cover of the spring assembly or you won’t be able to screw the side screws back in), you can pull the cover off the spring and then remove the spring itself along with the high-tech “non-linear” piece of rubber:
With the rubber removed you just need to reassemble the set and see how it feels.
Before I made the change there was this much movement:
And then afterwards:
The pedal now moves a lot further and is a lot easier for Max to use. It feels a bit strange to me, but then I am used to actual brakes. There is the fact the pedal set is calibrated for the rubber to be there and to have the non-linear travel, so it could affect how the pedals work in the games, but Max is a lot happier with the feel now and he has been, noticeably, playing his racing games more since the change was made.
The mod only took about 15 minutes, and that included researching how to take the base off which I then didn’t actually do. I would definitely recommend it for anyone that has kids that want to be able to use the pedals easier and are struggling with the minimal movement of the standard setup.